collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 164
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16182 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13030 Posts
John S John S
11303 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Is Bottas good enough to replace Kimi at Ferrari?  (Read 3459 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Is Bottas good enough to replace Kimi at Ferrari?
« on: July 15, 2015, 05:04:48 PM »
Massa's ahead this term on points and Ferrari rejected him.   :confused:

I have been reading quite a bit of chatter on other websites, in the comments sections mostly so it's joe public rather than F1 sages who are driving this theme. The suggestion is that if Valtteri is not substantially better than his teammate, one Felippe Massa, then why on earth would Ferrari be courting him?  :DntKnw:

Kimi was brought in to replace Felippe as the Brazilian was considered no longer up to the task, indeed results from 2013 show Massa on less than half Alonso's total and the poor performance allowed Merc to beat Ferrari into 3rd in the constructors.

Whilst it's true Bottas outscored Massa last year some of that can be put down to Felippe having to adapt to the new team and car. By the end of the last season Massa was outscoring Valtteri at most races, and has continued to be a match for him this year. 

The only explanation of Ferrari's interest in Bottas, IMHO, is as a definite No 2 to slippery Seb.

In the case of Maranello  I reckon 'The Who' put it best in the song 'Won't get fooled again' - "Meet the new boss Same as the old boss". :D
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 05:07:16 PM by John S »

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Steve A.

Re: Is Bottas good enough to replace Kimi at Ferrari?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 05:21:47 PM »
You could be right about him being a number 2 driver, but also Valteri has time on his side, Massa does not. A bit ageist but could be a simple consideration.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 05:43:32 PM by DH1.F1 »

Offline Monty

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 02:14:50 PM »
I think most of the big teams are now looking to have a mixture of experience and youth (it makes sense in several ways and often reduces the overall salary bill!).
Personally, I think Kimi was retained by Ferrari because Vettel was happy to have him as a team mate (they are good friends). Now Kimi has not performed to a level acceptable to the Ferrari Senior Dictatorship, they will look for a talented and younger replacement.
There is no doubt that Valteri fits this description. I think he probably has equal talent to Massa but he is young and he brings some good personal sponsorship. He is also a perfect fit for the modern F1 car (as long as he doesn't have any more back problems). Ricciardo is another talented young driver with good sponsorship but he is a bit tall (in F1 terms). I thought Ferrari might try to do a Torro Rosso and bring in someone really young and perhaps Italian but I can only think of Ignazio D’Agosto and he is mid-pack in the 2 Litre class of W.S. by Renault. Lets face it, Ferrari will be able to temp almost any young driver they want, so it could be anyone!

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 09:32:21 AM »
I don't think Ferrari have particularly helped Kimi with his results, some bad decisions have cost him in some races.
I do think Kimi lacks hunger or desire, or maybe as mentioned earlier he needs guidance or help to get the best out of the car. Either way it will probably be his last season,  at least in the Ferrari.

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 11:48:45 AM »
Well the Italian press claim that it is a done deal and Bottas is definitely going to Ferrari.
If so, the musical chairs will begin!
Who goes to Williams? It is a great car with the engine of the moment. I assume they will not use any of their reserve or test drivers and I'm sure it will be someone established.

Offline Scott

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 11:56:06 AM »
Well the Italian press claim that it is a done deal and Bottas is definitely going to Ferrari.
If so, the musical chairs will begin!
Who goes to Williams? It is a great car with the engine of the moment. I assume they will not use any of their reserve or test drivers and I'm sure it will be someone established.

Jens?  I kind of hope not.
The Honey Badger doesn't give a...

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 12:12:20 PM »
I'd love to see Button at Williams. He deserves one more throw with a good car.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 12:41:01 PM »
I'd love to see Button at Williams. He deserves one more throw with a good car.

I agree, I think it will be good for team and driver

Offline Monty

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 01:45:10 PM »
Didn't Jenson buy himself out of a contract with Williams in the past. I know Claire is the boss now but Frank doesn't forgive anyone (and especially not drivers) if they show disloyalty!

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 02:20:47 PM »
Things change and move on, I think if Frank thought it would be beneficial he would go for it. Alonso and Dennis have managed to get passed a very sour relationship
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 06:05:37 PM by DH1.F1 »

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 12:28:38 AM »
http://www.f1today.net/en/news/203479/bottas-reaches-an-agreement-with-ferrari-for-2016

Looks like the first part is sorted. Now the shuffling starts

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 04:42:32 PM »
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Dare

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 03:36:03 AM »
I have a better idea...one that will make both Ali and
myself very very happy....stick Fisi back in the 2016
Ferrari.He's had plenty of practice letting Alonso win
at Renault
Mark Twain once opined, "it's easier to con someone than to convince them they've been conned."

Offline Steve A.

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 07:03:04 AM »

Looks possible any move by Button could be blocked by Maclaren. Looks like a one sided agreement as far as the option is concerned

Offline Steve A.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle