collapse

* Welcome

Welcome to GPWizard F1 Forum!

GPWizard is the friendliest F1 forum you'll find anywhere. You have a host of new like-minded friends waiting to welcome you.

So what are you waiting for? Becoming a member is easy and free! Take a couple seconds out of your day and register now. We guarantee, you wont be sorry you did.

Click Here to become a full Member for Free

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Newsletter

GPWizard F1 Forum Newsletter Email address:
Weekly
Fortnightly
Monthly

* Grid Game Deadlines

Qualifying

Race

* Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Wizzo: :good:
    March 05, 2024, 11:44:46 PM
  • Dare: my chat button is onthe bottom rightWiz
    March 03, 2024, 11:58:24 PM
  • Wizzo: Yes you should see the chat room button at the bottom left of your screen
    March 02, 2024, 11:39:55 PM
  • Open Wheel: Is there a Chat room button or something to access “Race day conversation”
    March 02, 2024, 02:46:02 PM
  • Wizzo: The 2024 Grid Game is here!  :yahoo:
    January 30, 2024, 01:42:23 PM
  • Wizzo: Hey everybody - the shout box is back!  :D
    August 21, 2023, 12:18:19 PM

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 140
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Top Posters

cosworth151 cosworth151
16182 Posts
Scott Scott
14057 Posts
Dare Dare
13030 Posts
John S John S
11303 Posts
Ian Ian
9729 Posts

Author Topic: Austin reveals USGP track site & chief backer  (Read 1613 times)

Offline John S

• F1 Legend
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
  • 11550 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To John S
  • Max for 3rd title! - to see more Toto apoplexy.
Austin reveals USGP track site & chief backer
« on: July 27, 2010, 07:11:53 PM »

Well it would seem the new USGP has some big money behind it's new
track complex, according to this piece on ITV-f1.com I don't really know either the location or the big hitter Red McCombs, but no doubt the forum members in N. America may be able to enlighten the rest of us.

Organisers for the new US Grand Prix venue in Austin, Texas have revealed details of where the new purpose-built track will be located and the identity of the project’s main financial backer.

Since Bernie Ecclestone made the shock announcement in May that he had struck a 10-year deal for a revived US round to take place on a brand new circuit in the Texan state capital from 2012 few concrete details had emerged about the venue, apart from the fact the track would be designed by F1’s resident architect Hermann Tilke.

However, in a press conference in Austin on Tuesday the promoters of the race, Full Throttle Productions, announced further key details about the project.

Firstly, it revealed that the track would be located in the south-eastern part of the city, near Austin International airport, on a 900-acre site, most of which was part of an area known as ‘Wandering Creek’ which had previously been earmarked for residential development.

Organisers say the track layout – which previous reports have suggested will be built on a hilly terrain – will be released later this summer, along with a master plan of the venue.

“The track and facility will be located in southeast Austin along the SH 130 corridor near FM 812 [roadway]; the majority of the site involved is formerly known as Wandering Creek,” the promoters said in a statement on the new official website for the event, which launched on Tuesday.

http://www.formula1unitedstates.com/formula1.html

“Its location in Austin is one that is nearly impossible to replicate – hotels, downtown Austin and Austin-Bergstrom International Airport are all located within a seven-mile radius.  “The site also offers convenient access to major highways and other transportation
arteries.”

Promoters also announced wealthy Texan businessman Red McCombs as the project’s main backer. McCombs is a well-know name in both automotive and sports circles in America having previously owned the San Antonio Spurs and Denver Nuggets NBA basketball teams, as well as American football’s Minnesota Vikings, while he is also the owner of a car dealership giant in Texas.

The businessman, who was named one of Forbes magazine's top 400 richest Americans in 2005, said: “Bringing Formula 1 back to the United States represents the opportunity of a lifetime and one that any city in the world would want.

The new Austin track will become the eighth different American venue to host an F1 grand prix, but the first to be purpose-built to the sport’s requirements.

ITV-f1.com, Today.

Racing is Life - everything else is just....waiting. (Steve McQueen)

Offline Jericoke

Re: Austin reveals USGP track site & chief backer
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 08:19:59 PM »
Well, if the goal is to find someone connected to the automotive world, I don't know that you could do better than Red McCombs.  His dealerships include franchises for Ford, Hyundai, Toyota (including Scion... do they have Scion in Europe, or is that just an American thing?) and GMC.

Also, he's owned professional sports teams, so he knows what he's getting into in sports.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 11:26:03 PM »
I imagine Bernie is already spending their forfeiture fee. I see he's started nattering on about putting the race in NYC again.

Or, as we'll be calling Austin this time next year, Donnington with a Drawl.  ;)

FYI, the FM road designation was originally a Farm to Market road.
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline SennaMan

• Triple World Champion
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
  • 1300 credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Money To SennaMan
  • McLAREN MP4-12C Applied Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 03:45:19 AM »
I imagine Bernie is already spending their forfeiture fee. I see he's started nattering on about putting the race in NYC again.

Or, as we'll be calling Austin this time next year, Donnington with a Drawl.  ;)

FYI, the FM road designation was originally a Farm to Market road.

hey cossie, I'm not so sure as this looks like a genuine 'goer' to me

....hope so anyway  :good:
"In a Democracy, civil dissent and even disobedience is a responsibility and a duty. Indeed, the extent dissent is tolerated is in itself a test of a Democracy."

Bruce Elton Foulds - 2010.

Offline cosworth151

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 12:16:10 PM »
I'm still hoping for the Donnington model: Bernie gets his money from a race that never will be (and never should be) and the race goes back where it belongs. In this case - Indy!
“You can search the world over for the finer things, but you won't find a match for the American road and the creatures that live on it.”
― Bob Dylan

Offline Jericoke

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 09:46:26 PM »
I'm still hoping for the Donnington model: Bernie gets his money from a race that never will be (and never should be) and the race goes back where it belongs. In this case - Indy!

Second   :good:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal
Menu Editor Pro 1.0 | Copyright 2013, Matthew Kerle